Love to Read!

Just imagining the combination of doing one of the my favorite things, READING, and combining it with my future makes this class one of the most exciting I'm going to take at U of I! I hope you enjoy some of the interpretations of the books I read as well as have fun reading along with me! :) See you in class!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place the Mysterious Howling, by Maryrose Wood, is a unique story of childhood and second chances.  I immediately fell in love with this story as I felt that I could connect so well to the main character, Penelope, as well as the crazy children.  The wild children are forced to assimilate into society, and that is something that Penelope is dedicated and happy to help them to do.   I love this story for the combined lessons and humor that the author provides as well as the very unique characterization.  I found myself smiling nearly nonstop as I read this well-imagined and unbelievable story.
Written with what I think is the intent to entertain and make children giggle, I think the author succeeds here.  Sometimes it is difficult to imagine a time different from that in which we currently live.  The author does a great job of comparing current times to the time Penelope lived in.  Wood always relates things humorously too.  For example, she says, “although they have fallen out of style, in Miss Penelope Lumley’s day tableaux vivant were all the rage…  no doubt this will sound dull to the modern viewer whose tastes have been shaped by more advanced forms of entertainment…” (213 & 214)  The author can so easily relate to what I am feeling when she makes these comments.  Since she is willing to make such statements, I laugh and become more part of the story even through the differences.  Also, the author mentions hyperbole often.  Hyperbole is a great exaggeration, and every time an exaggeration is made, she points it out.  Oftentimes, such exaggerations are very obvious, but when the author points them out, I giggle a little bit.  To read an explanation of the crazy circumstances makes the exaggeration all the more funny.  One short example is when Wood states, “perhaps Lady Constance was guilty of hyperbole when she said the children were ‘running amok’ or perhaps she was offering an accurate assessment of the situation” (231-233).  These short comments and explanations kept me interested and laughing throughout the entire story.
In addition, the characterization was something I could relate to throughout the story.  I most especially relate to Penelope because she is a young woman looking to achieve and make a name for herself now that she is independent.  She cares so much for the children she is teaching, and I know that I will put a lot into my teaching in the future as well.  In addition, even though the children act like wolves, their pure innocence and sweetness makes me smile every time.  I understand how much they want to please and impress Penelope because when I was little, I always wanted my teachers to notice me and praise me for doing exceptional work.  I wanted to see the children happy and safe throughout the entire story.  I worried when Penelope worried and got angry when she got angry.  I was just so pleased to feel so connected to the main characters.  I want to read the rest of the series because I, like Penelope, want to make sure that the children remain safe and happy through their lives.
I didn’t completely expect to enjoy this story.  In fact, I thought it would be somewhat strange and uninteresting.  In many circumstances, it is hard to relate to wolf children.  I have never been a wolf (obviously) or been abandoned by my parents.  Their innocence and kindness, however, made me care for them and understand, like Penelope, that they too are children.  For that reason, the story became a lot less “weird” to me.  The main characters were more my friends.  They went through any normal struggle that protagonists do in a story, and I was so excited to fight through the challenges with them the entire time.

Wood, Maryrose, and J. ,. Klassen. The Mysterious Howling. New York: Balzer Bray, 2010. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment