Love to Read!

Just imagining the combination of doing one of the my favorite things, READING, and combining it with my future makes this class one of the most exciting I'm going to take at U of I! I hope you enjoy some of the interpretations of the books I read as well as have fun reading along with me! :) See you in class!

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Pandora's Box


Pandora's Box, by Robert Burleigh, is a story that has been told over and over again through time.  The ancient stories of the Greek gods and goddesses are known to some extent by almost all children and adults.  This version is one that is easy to follow.  Through its pictures, the story gives a vivid picture of the trouble Pandora struggles through.  The illustrations combined with the poetic text in this story help give a feel for the ancient Greek culture while also providing an entertaining tale to get lost in.  I was able to connect to this story as well, and I feel many readers will feel the same as it is easy to understand how hard it is to want something that you know you can't have.
 The illustrations in Pandora's Box have a rustic look to them.  The rich green, gold, and red colors are easy on the eyes as well as warming to look at.  These colors have an almost ancient feel to them.  We are just given a small glimpse into the ancient Greek world that we hear so much about.  The intricate detail given to the characters of the story help to give the impression that we almost know them personally.  For example, a picture of Pandora running away from something troubling clearly shows the worry on her face and her desire to be elsewhere.  The background of the picture is a bit more blurred so that we can truly focus on what the character is experiencing.  This is important because Pandora is from a time that we are not as able to relate to.  Knowing and truly being able to see how she is feeling makes her life much more understandable and easy to relate to.  With each new page I can feel Pandora's excitement when she is near the box or understand her worry as she releases all the bad things into the world.  These pictures combined with the poetic writing create a mood that is easy to get lost in throughout the story.
Page 1 of this story begins with "What was in the jar?  The jar that was closeted tight And not to be opened!  What was in the jar?  It was all Pandora could think of!"  The lines are short and catchy.  They are almost thrilling.  I want to follow Pandora along and know what is in the jar as much as she does.  Since the reading is so fast, it is easy to stay interested as well.  I feel like I am almost singing a song or the story of Pandora's adventures.  It is catchy and moving.  The words leave more of an impact on me because they are easier to remember.  They flow.  There is not an overabundance of words that need to be connected to the pictures.  Instead, the two work together to tell the story.  The poetic phrasing sticks with me as I glance over the pictures.  The two work together.  The pictures express more of the emotions Pandora is feeling, such as her curiosity on page 1 (as she stares intently at the jar), while the words discuss the moment and hand and various actions and thoughts that pass through her mind.  This cultural tale, then, is better understood because as I exist in my culture today, I can still feel as if I am part of Pandora's.
   Most important to the story is my ease to connect to Pandora's emotions.  There have been many times I have been told that I am not allowed to do something.  Perhaps I wasn't allowed to eat another cookie, or maybe there was a secret that a friend trusted me not to tell anyone.  In the instance of the cookie, the thought of another tasty bite in my mouth consumed me.  I didn't ever steal one, and I never told my secrets, but the thoughts did become consuming until I could finally put them out of my mind.  Pandora didn't have as much success as I did, but I can certainly understand and relate to her struggles.  For that reason, the story was all the more interesting.  I wanted to stick by her until she could finally get rid of her curiosity.  Unfortunately she did it the wrong way.  Even so, because I knew the feeling, I felt sympathy for her struggles in the end and hoped that she could make the best of it.
    The story ends with an understanding of how all the bad has come into this world.  It was the releasing of all the horrors in the box that brought greed, jealousy, and other negative things into our lives today.  This cultural tale is one that is catchy and memorable.  Being able to understand that by connecting to the pictures and prose made it all the more enjoyable and meaningful to read.  Pandora's Box is a catchy story that brings out a unique culture and history in a way that I will always remember and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment