Love to Read!

Just imagining the combination of doing one of the my favorite things, READING, and combining it with my future makes this class one of the most exciting I'm going to take at U of I! I hope you enjoy some of the interpretations of the books I read as well as have fun reading along with me! :) See you in class!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Anything But Typical


Anything But Typical, by Nora Raleigh Baskin, is the story of a boy with autism and his struggles to find happiness and peace with himself.  This firsthand look at the difficulties the main character (Jason) faces is an experience I have never had before.  In fact, it almost hurt to read the story because I know that I have been guilty of judging someone on the outside before getting to know them on the inside.  I feel that the key to this book is the first person narration.  Without this very personal look into the mind of someone that feels alienated from the world, I would never be able to connect on such a meaningful level.
            One very important idea called out to me in this story.  So many believe that people with disabilities lack a lot of emotion or feeling.  Everyone in Jason’s life seems to want to press the appropriate emotion on him.  When he is not showing how he feels in conventional ways, everyone around him gets worried and looks to control him in a “normal way.”  However, since I have insight into Jason’s thoughts, I know that he is feeling just like anyone else would.  Early in the story we get a flashback to a time when Jason is a young boy.  His grandmother says to him “ ‘You are so good with your new little brother.  I can tell you love him very much,’ my grandmother said that day.  She said each word very slowly and very loudly.” (23)  In this situation, the grandmother is expecting her grandson to feel how she thinks any “normal” person should feel.  When she realizes that Jason is not feeling the “conventional” way, she worries and backs off.  I think a lot of people would react the same way, but after reading Jason’s side of the story, I can see that he is handling his feelings in his own way.  These feelings are not wrong or bad, they are utterly honest.  Too often, I think we are not open-minded enough.  We are too expectant of the “norm.”  After reading this story, I feel that the unconventional, slightly different ways are just as real and human as anything else we might feel.  It pains me to see all the useless expectations people have for Jason throughout this story.  They seem to dehumanize him when he is in fact just as human as any other person on this planet.
            I have been fortunate throughout my education to be introduced to students of all different backgrounds, traits, etc.  Some students in my high school and middle school had Down Syndrome.  Because we were in the same atmosphere as them, we grew up with them and understood that they were students just like us.  We were all friends or acquaintances in our own way.  I do not think every student has that sort of experience.  Teachers seem to have little respect for Jason in his school.  They do not seem to advocate the fact that he is just like anyone else and should therefore be treated with respect.  I think Jason could have a very different experience if people took the time to be more open-minded.  Seeing this side of people, however, shows me the reality of things.  It makes me want to connect more with Jason and truly understand him for who he is because no one else will.  I think this is a good way to get young readers to feel the same way.  It is a lesson to be learned.  Although I have had positive experiences with inclusion in school, I too have had my moments to judge.  After reading this story and having had classes on the subject, I feel wrong.  I know I was wrong.  I have never been overly harsh and never mean to a person with a disability, but I never gave them the chance to open up to me and show me that they were just like me on the inside.  This book makes me want to go back in time and be the person willing to open my mind to differences.
            Anything But Typical is a fantastic story for young readers who need to understand the diversity our planet offers.  This first person insight has forced me to think about my own life as much as it has forced me to reflect on my actions.  I think our world is starting to understand that differences in people are not a bad or wrong.  This book most certainly teaches that being different and being yourself is the most important thing of all.  Without diversity, life would get very boring.  I am very appreciative of this book because it has made me think in ways that I would have been too uncomfortable to think about before.  I would bring this story into my classroom, and I would pick it up to read for fun any day.  I am a big fan of these inspirational books that challenge me to reflect on my own life.  It is amazing that even at the age of 19 I am finding so much meaning for books meant for students half my age.  I absolutely love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment