Love to Read!

Just imagining the combination of doing one of the my favorite things, READING, and combining it with my future makes this class one of the most exciting I'm going to take at U of I! I hope you enjoy some of the interpretations of the books I read as well as have fun reading along with me! :) See you in class!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

One Crazy Summer

            The Black Panther movement was the African American equivalent to the KKK.  Both were treacherous parts of American history, but what is interesting is that the Blank Panther movement is taught much less often in schools.  In fact, I got close to zero education on the Black Panther movement.  The book One Crazy Summer, by Rita Williams-Garcia, is the story of three young girls who are placed in the middle of the Black Panther movement.  Through them, I could learn about some of the culture as much as they were learning.  It was an important experience for me that I wish I’d had as a younger student, but I think it would be a good book to bring into my classroom in the future.
            This book started off slowly for me.  It was a lot of contemplation, and I wondered when the plot was going to begin.  Along the way, however, I learned a lot about the Black Panther movement.  I learned about the intensity of the group.  I learned how important it was to be a member, and that your responsibilities and pride to be a Black Panther were a great priority.  This militant group played an important role in the civil rights movement.  Perhaps they did things in some more dangerous ways than acceptable, but the children of the movement as well as some of the members were innocent and should not be blamed.  The three sisters of this story prove this to be true.  Their sincerity and commitment to each other far outweighed the movement they got wrapped up in.  I think my ability to identify with them helped make this important side of history far more human.
            The three sisters were searching to find acceptance from their mother while they got wrapped up in an intense movement that they knew very little about.  I immediately connected with the main character, Delphine.  She committed so greatly to her younger sisters, and I find that I do the same thing with my younger sister.  I want to be the protector.  Especially when we are in a foreign place, all I ever care about is our safety and happiness.  This story, the sisters’ quest to find acceptance and understanding about their mother, touched me in ways beyond just the movement they became part of.  Since I could identify with the sisters, I cannot place complete hatred toward the Black Panther members. 
            Having a better understanding of the human part of militant movements, I feel that everyone should try to understand that aspect of both the Black Panther movement and the KKK.  Some of the children especially don’t know the different between what is right and what is wrong.  Everyone fights for what they believe is right.  While I don’t believe that these groups fought the right way (AT ALL), it is important to remember that we’re all human.  I think it was a great experience reading this book because it showed me just how much went into the Black Panther movement.  Even children were being taught about the different ideals of the group.  People get wrapped up in their movement and forget to think about the rest of the world around them.  America tends to brush these issues aside and forget about them, but we need to learn from our mistakes.  Delphine, Fern, and Vonetta teach us that in this book.  Three innocent girls brought into a crazy world they weren’t expecting.  Although they did find some sort of understanding with their mother in the end, their experience at the breakfast club and the dangers associated with it were tragic things young children should never go through.  This book has positives and negatives in the girls’ lives, and I think it is important to use it as an introduction to an important part of American history: The Black Panther Movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment